There are have been many dynamic duos in our time: Batman and Robin, peanut butter and jelly and of course we can’t forget, Michael Scott and Dwight K. Schrute.
Though all of these pairs have made an impact in our lives and society there is a new set to watch out for: mobile marketing and video content.
Don’t believe me? Take a look at these staggering statistics of each from WordStream and you will see why they belong together.
Video Content Marketing Statistics
- 82% of Twitter users watch video content on Twitter
- YouTube has over a billion users, almost one-third of total internet users.
- 45% of people watch more than an hour of Facebook or YouTube videos a week.
- More than 500 million hours of videos are watched on YouTube each day.
- More video content is uploaded in 30 days than the major U.S. television networks have created in 30 years.
- 87% of online marketers use video content.
- 72 Hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every 60 seconds.
- One-third of online activity is spent watching video.
- Saudi Arabia is the country with the highest daily online video access, with 98 percent of online video penetration among the population (via statista).
- 85% of the US internet audience watches videos online.
- Every second, a million minutes (17,000 hours) of video content will cross global IP networks by 2021, according to Cisco (via Forbes).
- The 25-34 (millennial) age group watches the most online videos and men spend 40% more time watching videos on the internet than women.
- Over 500 million (half a BILLION) people are watching video on Facebook every day (via Forbes).
Mobile Video Marketing Statistics
- Over half of video content is viewed on mobile.
- 92 percent of mobile video viewers share videos with others.
- 90% of Twitter video views happen on a mobile device.
- Periscope users have created more than 200 million broadcasts.
- 10 million videos are watched on Snapchat per day.
Wow. That is a lot of hours of video and a lot of people watching those videos on their phone or tablet. How can you get in on the action? Here are some tips to help your business capture the mobile and video market with content marketing.
Video Marketing: What Makes a Good Video?
When starting out, your business will likely engage in “how-to” content marketing videos. These videos direct frequently asked questions your business may experience. While it may seem like you don’t want to give away industry secrets, customers appreciate being able to get the answers they are looking for. Plus, when they do need your services, they already have a foundation of trust established with your brand and business.
According to Kissmetrics, there are nine areas of focus when creating an “explainer video.” Among them are the following:
- Script: The script simply has to be on point and acts as the video’s foundation. It may be a good idea to get someone outside of the company to write the script as they’re unbiased, have a fresh perspective and can write for the masses. Also, when writing the script, ask yourself what problems you’re solving, which three benefits you need to mention and what your call to action is.
- Voice: Be sure to have a professional narrate your video. Investing in voiceover talent is a great way to make your video sound polished and professional and is worth the money.
- Music: Choosing the right music that mimics the tone of your video is essential. Testing out and choosing your music after the rest of the video is complete often times works best.
- Visuals: While visuals are important to any video, sometimes, the simpler the better. The important thing is to ensure you are using visuals that speak to your story and match the voiceover. Got a video idea? Make it come to life with a photo and video editing app!
- Fun: Don’t forget to have fun! If you’re loathing every minute of making the video, chances are it will show through in the final product. People like to be entertained, so entertain yourself while you’re at it. Your authenticity will come through in the final product.
What else does it take to make a quality and, more importantly, useful video? Keep these tips in mind:
- Stay short. Online video marketing works best with short videos. In a world where everyone is competing for attention, it is best to keep to two minutes or less, and even one minute is better!
- Get to the point. According to Statistic Brain, the average attention span lasts about eight seconds. What does that mean for your online video marketing? Get to the point quickly, before the viewer is gone.
- Optimize. Keep SEO in mind. Using keywords and links are a great way to help search engines find your video.
- Call to action. Every effective online video marketing strategy needs this step. Hongkiat.com offers guidelines, best practices and great examples to put your business on the right path.
Other Ways to Use Video Marketing on Mobile Devices
There are many ways to use helpful videos on social media platforms and your company website, but even within those social media platforms, there are new and unique ways to use videos.
Are you using Instagram Stories and Snapchat?
Marketing with Instagram Stories
Publicist Danielle Winski recently wrote an incredible blog post detailing how brands are using Instagram stories as part of their marketing efforts.
Here’s a small section of her post:
The Instagram Stories feature is gaining popularity both for consumers and businesses alike. With 300 million daily users of Stories, it is no wonder that brands are trying to stand out in this market and produce some cool content.
Some companies have already found their niche in the world of Instagram Stories and thanks to their creative use of this platform have had some very effective results.
Some of the companies finding success with Instagram Stories include: Maybelline, Airbnb and even NASA. What do these companies know that you may not? Read her blog post to find out.
Is Snapchat new to you in terms of marketing your brand? Brush up on the popular platform and decide it it’s an avenue you want to go down.
If Snapchat seems like a good fit for your business, follow these corporate do’s and don’ts from Talk Shop.
- Do Keep It Simple
- Just because you can have a 200 second story, doesn’t mean you should. Keep videos to about 10 seconds to make sure that followers actually watch your entire update.
- Do Post Exclusive Content
- Posting at an exclusive event or behind the scenes of your business gives followers a VIP pass to places they could never go otherwise.
- Do Keep Your Brand Human
- Highlight your brand’s culture and all the fun you and your employees are having in the office.
- Don’t Use Snapchat Just for the Sake of Snapchatting
- Just because you can add rabbit ears and a nose to your face or turn yourself into a monster doesn’t mean you should, unless it is related to your business’ content or products. It is a good idea to use these elements (although use them sparingly) surrounding major holidays or events; for example, go ahead and use the monster filter around Halloween!
- Don’t Go Off Brand
- Monitor how “silly” you let your Snapchat account become; stay on message and keep your brand identity in mind.
- Don’t Forget That Content Lives On:
- Your video may only be ten seconds long, but that doesn’t mean it’s gone after its run. While it may be tempting to share a risqué or controversial update, it may come back to haunt you… ten seconds at a time. Plus, remember that followers can always take a screenshot of your snap; make sure it’s something you want them holding on to.
Don’t Forget About Websites for Mobile Marketing
In addition to creating videos for mobile users, it’s also important to make sure your business’ website is mobile friendly. I previously wrote about the importance of a mobile friendly website which you can read here. Here are a few reasons I site from Webmovement as to why you need a mobile friendly website now.
- Google prioritizes mobile-friendly websites over those that are not in mobile search results. The Google algorithm change that occurred in 2015 tweaked the way Google displays mobile search results. Websites that are optimized for mobile rank better than those that don’t.
- People everywhere use mobile devices to do everything from simple internet searches to purchasing big ticket items and much more. The reason? It’s fast and easy. Consumers in every industry want to connect and get what they’re looking for quickly. If you’re not optimized for mobile, you can’t offer your customers immediate service.
- It helps you build credibility with your customers, clients and influencers in your industry. With a mobile friendly website, anyone who tries to visit your site on a mobile device will have a proper experience, and that will encourage them to see you as a credible resource for information, products and services.
- It’s becoming a standard best practice. Many websites are mobile-friendly with more and more coming online every day. Responsive web design has made mobile optimization more straight forward and accessible to everyone, and that means users have begun to expect this level of functionality to come standard when browsing on their mobile devices.
- You can reach more customers, faster. Making your website mobile-friendly automatically opens your customer base up to anyone performing a mobile search. And even better, customers won’t have to hunt for your site or type in the exact URL to find it – they can just perform a search to find you quickly and easily.
Implementing Mobile and Video Marketing Techniques
Like all great dynamic duos, mobile and video marketing can survive on their own, but they are better together. Mastering these two tactics is essential to keep up in the fast-paced world of social media marketing.
If you need assistance creating mobile friendly content, helpful videos or have other social media marketing needs, contact us today! Three Girls Media is happy to offer a free 30-minute consultation with CEO, Erika Montgomery to discuss your unique needs.
Special Offer:Sign up for a complimentary consultation before the end of the year and receive a 2019 Planning Guide valued at $375 PLUS you'll be entered to win our marketing giveaway! We offer a 30-minute phone consultation with our CEO, and can answer your questions and discuss your specific marketing needs - no strings attached. Get the giveaway details in this blog post. Call 408-218-2391 or contact us today to arrange your consultation!