Grey’s Anatomy has earned an incredible following of loyal watchers since the show first aired in 2005. I came to the Grey’s Universe late, but quickly fell in love with the show and haven’t missed an episode since I started watching. One of the things I love most about the series is its ability to hit on the struggles we all face while offering profound, thought-provoking advice.
In honor of one my favorite shows, I bring you fifteen quotes from the series you can apply to your content marketing efforts. But first, why is content marketing important for your business?
Content Marketing Stats You Need to Know
From social media to blogging, content marketing has grown dramatically over the recent years and there is no slowdown in sight as businesses continue to realize how important it is to their marketing strategies. Here are some statistics from HubSpot that demonstrate why you should invest in content marketing for your company.
- One-third of the world uses social networks on a regular basis.
- In the past 2 years, content consumption on Facebook has increased by 57 percent. Creating blog content is the top inbound marketing priority for 53 percent of marketers.
- Four times as many customers would rather watch a video about a product than reading about it.
Content Marketing Quotes From ‘Grey’s Anatomy’
What lessons can you take away from ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ about content marketing? Here are 15 quotes from the show with some wonderful insight that can be applied to the topic.
- “You don’t have to be tough every minute of every day. It’s okay to let your guard down.” – Meredith Grey
When was the last time you let your guard down with your audience? It’s okay to give them a behind the scenes look at your brand and let them see the people behind the profiles. Welcoming this human touch every once in a while will bring you closer to your customers.
- “You’re gonna wish you gave it just one more shot because the best things in life, they don’t come free.” – Meredith Grey
A common misconception is that content marketing is easy and results are seen quickly. There is a lot of trial and error in developing a strategy that works and it requires your time and patience. It often takes six to twelve months before you start to see your work pay off, but it will be well worth all the effort you put in. After all, the best things in life don’t come free.
- “At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing is
reason enough to celebrate.” – Meredith Grey
Celebrate your wins, no matter how big or small they may be. Some days you may feel like throwing in the towel; on these days especially, don’t be afraid to rejoice in your perseverance. Appreciating your accomplishments at the end of every day will help you continue to move forward when times get tough.
- “Cause you never think that the last time is the last time. You think there will be more. You think you have forever, but you don’t.” – Meredith Grey
Content marketing strategies, such as social media marketing, allow customers to connect with your business on a personal level. If they come to you, don’t push off engaging with them until a later time; doing so can result in losing them to your competition. Make the most of every chance you get to build lasting and meaningful relationships.
- “We do not get unlimited chances to have the things we want. Nothing is worse than missing an opportunity that could have changed our life.” – Addison Montgomery
If you see an opportunity to provide consumers with information about your business, seize it! The chance of a lifetime can come from something as small as responding to a question, or as big as discovering a segment of your target market is being underserved. If you don’t grasp these chances, you can bet your competition will.
- “I’m a human being. I make mistakes. I’m flawed. We all are.” – Derek Shepherd
Even the best content marketers make mistakes, it’s part of being human; what matters is how those errors are handled. Take each blunder as a lesson learned and make note of how your business can avoid repeating the same mistake in the future.
- “Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it. But every now and then, look around and drink it in.” – Meredith Grey
A successful content marketing strategy requires a plan with S.M.A.R.T goals, but don’t forget to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Take time to appreciate how far you’ve come since you put your plan in action and all that you’ve learned along the way.
- “I think it’s important to take the time to tell the people you love how much you love them, while they can hear you.” – Meredith Grey
You wouldn’t be where you are without your customers. Take advantage of the many ways content marketing allows your business to express your appreciation; tell them how much they mean to your business every chance you get.
- “You have a voice, so use it. Speak up. Raise your hands. Shout your answers.
Make yourself heard. Whatever it takes, just find your voice and when you do, fill the damn silence.” –Meredith Grey
In a world overflowing with noise everywhere we go, it’s important to create a voice unique to your business and use it. Let your brand’s personality shine through in your content and you’re sure to rise above the clatter and be heard.
- “We’re petrified of saying too much or saying it wrong. When the truth is the wrong thing you can say is nothing at all.” – Jackson Avery
Don’t be afraid to engage with your audience. One of the worst things you can do is turn away from a chance to interact with a person who has come to your business. Even if you don’t have the answer, let them know you heard them and will find what they are looking for.
- “Have some fire, be unstoppable, be a force of nature. Be better than anyone here.” – Christina Yang
Christina Yang wasn’t talking about content marketing, but her words can definitely be applied here. Let your passion come through in your content and highlight what makes you different. Don’t be afraid to find your niche and run with it!
- “Change; we don’t like it, we fear it, but we can’t stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind.” – Meredith Grey
Don’t let the fear of new content marketing strategies or technology stop you from growing your business. It is easier and more comfortable to continue doing what you’ve always done, but if you don’t embrace change you’re sure to get left behind.
- “It’s not childish to hold out hope. It’s actually hard – very, very hard.” – Izzie Stevens
When everything seems to be going against your marketing plan, it may be hard to see
the silver lining. But don’t lose hope! Evaluate your strategy, adapt to what is happening and continue to move forward.
- “We lose those battles as often as we succeed. The key though, win or lose, is to never fail. And the only way to fail is not to fight. So fight until you can’t fight anymore.” – Amelia Shepherd.
If you’re having trouble finding the content marketing strategy that works for your business, take Amelia’s advice and keep fighting. The only way you can truly fail is if you give up and stop fighting. View every strategy that doesn’t work is a lesson learned and an opportunity to grow.
- “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely. We’re left only with the choice of what to next. We can choose to be afraid of it, to stand there trembling, not moving, assuming the worst that can happen. Or we step forward, into the unknown and assume it will be brilliant.” – Christina Yang
When faced with the chance to try a new content marketing technique for your business, it can be scary not knowing how your audience will receive it. Don’t let your fear stop you from trying something new. Once you decide to take a chance, go forward into the unknown with the expectation that it will be brilliant.
From appreciating your successes to embracing the unknown, these Grey’s Anatomy quotes will inspire and support your content marketing campaigns well into the future.
Want to learn more about content marketing and how it can help your business succeed? Check out these other articles from Three Girls, A Dog & A Marketing Blog.
- How to Be Successful with Content Marketing
- 11 of the Best Public Relations & Content Marketing Tools
- Content Marketing Metrics to Master [Infographic]
- Creative Content Marketing: 4 Types of Digital Content
Special Offer:Sign up for a complimentary consultation before the end of the year and receive a 2019 Planning Guide valued at $375 PLUS you'll be entered to win our marketing giveaway! We offer a 30-minute phone consultation with our CEO, and can answer your questions and discuss your specific marketing needs - no strings attached. Get the giveaway details in this blog post. Call 408-218-2391 or contact us today to arrange your consultation!